Sunday, July 3, 2011

CELEBRATING OUR FREEDOM

The 4th of July holiday, for all of us here in these Great United States of America, is a day to enjoy barbecues, hot dogs, cookouts, family and fireworks.  But first and foremost, the celebration should be based on the essential truth that freedom is bought by sacrifice. There is nothing wrong with picnics and parades on the 4th of July, because we are celebrating our freedom. But as we celebrate our freedom, let us not forget the cost paid by our forefathers in battle, who bought it for us, as they paid for it with the ultimate price. Let us take a moment to pay homage to those brave and valiant men! 

Now, let us discuss with whom we will celebrate this most significant of holidays and please share what wonderful plans you have and how your family celebrates!

I will celebrate tomorrow with a very special person in my life, someone who has been there for me, through thick and through thin, has supported my dreams and not only supports my quest for bliss, but is an integral  ingredient within it.  When I had doubts about my ability to continue with my quest, this person lifted me up and reminded me that I was stronger than anything that could be thrown my way.  I was reminded also, that I had a fortitude within me which I did not know existed.  Always the first to praise, support, lift up, encourage and believe in me, this person is always by my side, be it physically or in thought.  And for this, I will be forever grateful.  Thank you Dad for everything you have done and continue to do for me every day of your life.

I also want to take a moment to thank him for his United States Military service.  He volunteered for the Army during a most violent and horrendous time, the Vietnam War.  Thanks to heaven above that he returned safely and has been my rock for low these many years.   

We will celebrate with a family cookout, hamburgers, hot dogs and barbecue.  We gather as a family in his huge back yard on the beautiful plot of mountain land on which his log home is built.  Family members come from near and far as the back yard fills with love, laughter and the wonderful smells of the grill wafting through the air.  After everyone is sufficiently stuffed with great food, we proceed to chat, play with the babies, get out the guitars and mandolins (the mandolin would me me, lol).  We play great music until darkness sneaks upon us and then the fireworks display starts in all its glory! 

Come share with me how you celebrate the 4th of July!  And in the mean time, I wish La Vie en Bonheur to you and your family!

My Ladybug, 1982 - 2011

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful heartfelt tribute to your dad. Such a sad war and so much confusion over it, even to this day. He is worthy of many thank you's.
    I was reminded today in church of the true meaning of freedom - being in Christ. I was also told about the lives of those who signed the Declaration and what happened to many of them as a result. It is so sobering to think about the character these men had and that they pledged their lives, fortunes and honor. Many died alone and destitute due to British invasions of their personal property and family.
    So thank you for the reminder! May be aspire to be like the men of old who set aside personal pursuits for something higher and more valuable, without which, our lives would be so very different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very, very true. Thank you for your wonderful comment. I agree so much with everything you said. It is such a shame at what happened to our forefathers and so many more who have gone before us. It sounds like your church service was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was so wonderfully said. I especially loved your beautiful words about your dad and your relationship with him.
    His home and all the love around him, and the surroundings they way you describe them, all sound so wonderful.
    I love your blog, and am now following.
    Happy 4th to you and yours.

    Diana, Giupetto, Gianna and the rest of my familuu.

    ReplyDelete